Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happiness is a Choice

Alright, so I gotta just say it. Not all weeks are roses. I had a really bad week last week and I've been putting off writing  because of it. Monday started with a case of strep throat and a day in bed. My sweet mom here made me hot chocolate with honey to help me feel better. Don't hate it until you've tried it. It'll do wonders to a sore throat! But then, Tuesday came and I still wanted to lay around all day. I went to classes, but returned home back to bed. Wednesday we planned to go to the Royal Palace, but when we got there it was closed-one of the few days it's ever closed. Thursday was filled with more movies and more bed time. I can't explain it. I realize my week sounds awful, but I had no motivation to get up and do anything. Sometimes being away from your loved ones and the comfort of home really takes a toll on ya. I'm not the least bit ungrateful for my time here. I love it so much, but there are definitely hard times.Saturday was better. I went to El Escorial and a castle in Manzanares El Real. It was super beautiful, as are almost all buildings everywhere in Spain.

This is our director's son, Dylan, coming to save a damsel in distress

The girls at the Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos

El Escorial

Valle de los Caidos, the tomb of the dictator, Franco

CASTLE!

Sunday was another hard day, but my mom here, Pilar, brought me in a big soft comfy chair and let me watch a movie with her. It was in Spanish, but none the less it was great. She is so great. I told her I was feeling homesick and she said,  "Marynn, you're family is doing good. You are doing good. And that's all that really matters. Just let a little bit of time pass and you'll be with them." She is so great. I am incredibly grateful for the wonderful parents that I have here. They are a constant reminder to me that the Lord knows me personally and has sent people along my path to help me. Even last night, we told Pilar we liked celery with peanut butter, and this morning we woke up to toast with peanut butter and diced celery on it. Not exactly how we eat it at home, but it was so sweet none the less. And it didn't really taste bad. It was actually pretty good! I love my host family so much here.
The breakfast of Champs!

I know that this is a growing experience for me like none other. I read a letter from a friend recently that said, "If you choose to be happy, you can influence the lives of so many people." So that's my goal for the rest of this trip. CHOOSE to be happy. In all circumstances and in every situation. I've only got a month left here and I want it to be spent living happy. Let the good times roll!

1 comment:

  1. Marynn, you are in inspiration. You have such a positive attitude, even when times get tough. You are awesome! I'm so glad you're learning and growing from this experience!

    ReplyDelete