Monday, March 26, 2012

They're Here!!

So this week has been an eventful one! Monday we went to Valencia for Las Fallas, a big festival held there. The people spend mass amounts of money building floats and lighting off fireworks and then at the end of the night, they light them on fire! So first of all, Spain's fireworks put America's to shame. They're a million times louder and cooler than anything I've ever seen before. No doubt they'd be illegal in America. And especially how they just light them off in the busy city, with buildings ten feet away on both sides! Tell me how that's safe! So the fireworks run all day and then around midnight they set the floats on fire. It was unlike anything I've ever seen in my entire life. We met these adorable Spanish girls and became friends with them. They were so funny, telling us about their lives and all they could in English. One even told me I could hide in her room if I didn't want to leave Spain. I just might take her up on that! 

The float at 11:59

The float a little after 12:00

These are girls dressed in traditional Valencian attire. Everyone here does this as a competition for who can light the first firework. Basically a Spanish Miss America. Dresses cost as much as 3000 Euro!!

This is the first place float

Our new friends!

 
We took a bus home around three in the morning, got back to Alcala at about seven thirty and literally slept all day on Tuesday. The rest of the week is basically a blur. I'll tell you one thing. It was filled with taking lots of the wrong trains and getting lost a lot! It was the first time I had gotten lost this whole time, right before I leave! well on to the good stuff. MY MOM AND AUNTS GOT HERE ON SUNDAY!! Sunday morning, I woke up around four in the morning, way too excited to even think about sleeping. I stayed up until just before seven and caught a taxi in. Oh my heck, I was so anxious! I couldn't hold still to save my life! I hadn't seen my mama in so long! When she finally came out the sliding doors, I started bawling. I don't think I've ever cried so hard out of joy. I just kept hugging and hugging her. I can't believe she is actually in Spain!








 We went to our house and my host brother made them churros and chocolate, the greatest breakfast ever invented. Then we went to church, where they all fell sound asleep. You can't blame them though they had been traveling all night and church was in a language they didn't understand. After church, we went back to the house and sweet Fernando and Pilar had made us a traditional Spanish meal. We had crema de calabazin, gaspacho, and paella, followed by helado, brownies, and candied almonds. My host dad always tells me I don't eat very much, but when they feed you like that you can't eat very much of each course! I love my host parents so much.

After lunch, we were supposed to go to a bull fight. But instead we got lost for four hours. First of all, don't ever trust the google maps directions of Spain. They'll get ya lost every time, pretty sure. So we had to take two trains to Majadahonda, where their hostel is. Then the security guard pointed us in the right direction and we walked up a monster hill with seven suit cases. Then we were super lost and I asked a guy where we could catch a taxi. He said nowhere close. So we walked back down the hill and waited at a sign that said taxi, but no one came forever. So we went to the gas station and got the taxi phone number, but no one has a public telephone for us to use. BUT we found the most beautiful man in all of Spain! He was wearing an Armani suit, pretty sure, and drove a little red mini cooper. I think he was famous, like a model or an actor or something. I had to ask him if I could use his phone to call a taxi. I was super embarrassed because my Spanish is not that good! I probably sounded like a fool! But we were able to get a taxi and my aunt caught a picture of him. So mission complete. We got in to their hostel, by this time having missed the bull fight completely, and I just wanted to go home. My mom called me a taxi and had it take me home. The driver was so nice! He could tell I was upset and asked what was going on. He told me we had a long ride and I could talk to him about anything. Anyway, we ended up talking the whole hour-long ride-all in Spanish! The taxi was expensive, but once it got to a certain point he turned off the counter and said he would drive me the rest of the way for free. I made it home safe and sound! I know for sure I'm being watched out for over here! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are all safe and together now. Sounds like you are having fun with your mom and her sisters, even with the Google maps confusion. Wish I was there with you too... But I will see you soon:) Love ya, dad

    ReplyDelete