Sunday, February 5, 2012

Andalucia, you stole my heart!



WINDMILLS
Wow!! What a week! Seriously sometimes I look back at my life and am in awe at the experiences I am able to have. So grateful!! Tuesday morning we got on the bus for Andalucia, which is the southern part of Spain. We made a pit stop in La Mancha to see the windmills. For those of you who have read Don Quijote, you know what I'm talking about. They were massive! and so much prettier than the ones in America!


After our quick stop, we continued on to Granada, home of the Alhambra. Seriously, the Alhambra was incredible! Ancient Moorish structures and gardens everywhere. I have no idea how the architecture back then was so advanced. It's beautiful! My favorite part was the reflecting pool. Or maybe the gardens. I don't know I loved everything about it!



The Alhambra


Reflection Pool




So you would think that would be enough for one day, right? no! The adventures continue! We went to the Medina ruins after the Alhambra. To be honest all I can really remember about this place is how awesome it would have been to play hide and go seek in and how much trouble we got in for touching anything. But it was way sweet! like a giant maze!!



After the ruins, we drove to Cordoba. We got there kind of late and were all totally exhausted! I wish I had pictures of the hotel though. The funniest, dingiest little hole in the wall ever! I was loving it! The bedspreads were like permanently stained the color of sweat or something. haha but it was a good experience for me! After a good night's rest, we got up and went to the mezquita in Cordoba. Holy cow, Spain just keeps on bringing the beautiful buildings! This place looked exactly what you imagine Aladdin's palace to look like... but with a cathedral in the middle. Apparently the Christians took it over at one point and revamped it. Super misplaced! Also in Cordoba, they have beautiful flower pots all over their houses. It's winter so there weren't a ton out, but you can see a couple in this picture.




 These were all in the same building!
Hard to believe that I could top those days, but Friday was possibly the best day of my life thus far! I woke up, saw Christopher Columbus's tomb (who knew we still know where his remains are!) and found a Starbucks for some legitimate hot chocolate. We were super exhausted after a week of travel but still wanted to see all the sights so we took a horse and carriage throughout Sevilla. We got to see the bull ring, the Plaza de Espana, the Santa Maria Park, all from the comfort of a cute little carriage!


The horse ride got all rested up and we were back ready for fun. We went back to the park, rode this zip line thing (me and Chloe had the bright idea to ride spider!) and then rode paddle boats through the Plaza de Espana. It's a lot harder than you would imagine! I was so sore after paddling just around a little stream! Gotta work on my muscles more!!






After the paddle boats, we got dinner and headed to A FLAMENCO PERFORMANCE!!! One of the things I have been looking forward to all trip! Oh my goodness it was unreal! We were in this intimate little performance hall, on the second row. I could not believe the amount of passion the dancers had for their dancing. Their emotion was so raw; they weren't forcing a smile through it. Oh AND there was a man Flamenco dancer! Usually male dancers super turn me off, but imagine Matthew Mcconaughey out there in cute little Spanish dance clothes. Holy cow it was great! I wish I could've taken a picture with the dancers after, but they were quick to head out and stay away from the audience. Bummer! Anyway, nothing could bring down that day! Overall I absolutely loved Andalucia! What an incredible place!!

Behind me is the Flamenco stage. So cute and little! 

No comments:

Post a Comment