Sunday, January 29, 2012

Joke's on me... It snows in Spain too!

What a weekend! I feel like I have been on a guided tour for the past 48 hours. We set off for Avila early Friday morning. I zonked out on the bus only to wake up in a freaking blizzard! Avila was absolutely freezing! I wish the weather would have been better because it was a beautiful city. We saw a cathedral, this place dedicated to Santa Teresa, and yes I even saw her finger that they  have displayed in a gold shrine. Pretty weird stuff if ya ask me. After the dead finger, we got to climb on top of the city walls. If was freezing, but I knew I would only get the chance once in a lifetime, so I had to do it. It's the closest I'll ever get to the Great Wall of China!
Me and Ali up against the city walls
Told ya it was freezing! Check out that hair! 

On top of the world! Or at least the city walls!





 After Avila we drove down to Salamanca, which was still freezing but not as high up in the mountains so there wasn't snow. In Salamanca we saw another cathedral (of course) and la casa de los conches, or house of seashells. The house is covered in shells on the outside. Pretty crazy!



We stayed the night in Salamanca in a super nice hotel! It was good to get out for a bit. In the morning we took off to Torro. We saw a sweet church with a painting of "the virgin of the flies". It's called this because there is a fly painted on Mary's knee. Who knew?! After Torro we went to Torresillas and saw another awesome church. Their floor was this intricate rock design. I wish I could've taken a picture of it, but they were super strict on pictures there. They had this burly Spanish woman follow us around in her security outfit to make sure we wouldn't take pictures. Pretty official. When we were done with that church, we went back to the plaza to find a band and a bunch of elderly people dancing in the street. They let us join in with them. It may have been my favorite memory of this trip so far! Just dancing carelessly with old people in the street. awh pure joy! All the dancing worked up quite an appetite, but I'm having issues with food here. I feel bad but I'm living off of junk food and Burger King. Who travels around the world to eat the food they have next door?! My dad would be so disappointed. We can't ever go to McDonald's on vacations because we "Have plenty of those at home". So sorry dad! Anyway I found a gas station for lunch and ate a frozen pizza and of course, drank a coke! This trip was nonstop tours, but so incredible! Can't wait to turn around and do it again on Tuesday when we head out to Andalucia!
The girls in Torro

Lookin good!  Dancing in the street!

Burned pizza with bleu cheese... not the best!

Seriously. I love these girls!

1 comment:

  1. "Disappointed" - Not hardley, If the food over there is not agreeing with you, then you got to do, what you got to do. I couldn't be more proud of you. Maybe you will find some Spanish food that you'll like, or at least agree with you... Love ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete