Friday, January 20, 2012

Holy Toledo I Love You!

Today was our first excursion outside of Madrid. Toledo is the most beautiful place I've ever been in my life by far! I seriously wanted to cry I was so happy and amazed by its beauty. I don't even know if that makes sense, but that's how I felt. It's covered in old buildings and hills like you can't believe. So first we went to the Cathedral of Toledo, the second biggest cathedral in Spain and in the top ten biggest cathedrals in the world. There is stain glass everywhere, every inch of the inside is covered in pure gold and intricate detail. The architecture inside was incredible! I had a lot of fun looking around at all the detail and GOLD! Next we went to see the Burial of the Count Orgaz, the most famous painting of El Grecco's. I'll be honest I'm not much of an art buff, but the paintings here in real life really take your breath away. The tour ended in a synagogue, just as inticately designed but in stucco instead of gold. Seriously, these pictures don't do the city justice.







After the tour, Ali and I went a little shopping crazy.... The pottery in the city was just so beautiful though! Not quite sure how I"ll get this home, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I also bought a ring and earrings inlaid with gold. Who knows if it's real or not but it's what the city is known for. After working up an appetite shopping, I ate heaven on a stick... a chocolate covered waffle pop. A million times better than any marzipan that Toledo has to offer! They're supposed to also be famous for their marzipan, but it was not good! I'm kind of upset I only had one day here because it was absolutely beautiful! Ernest Hemingway once said something to the effect of "if you only have one day in Spain, spend it in Toledo." Now I can see why! Seriously, I get that this isn't my most comical or interesting post, but I'm just still in shock and awh over how incredible my day was today!

2 comments:

  1. ahh it sounds amazing mare! seriously i want in on that chocolate waffle pop action. yummyyyy!! haha but it sounds like it was beautiful! what a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a test comment. just ignore it.

    ReplyDelete