Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spain Days 2 and 3: Getting to know the cities

TALK ABOUT LANGUAGE BARRIER!!! it's so hard for me to communicate with people here. Last night our host mom was trying to say we can use the blankets if we're cold or we can kick them off.... Somehow I got we can use the blankets if we're cold or if we don't want to hear her and husband getting it on! Me and my room mate, Ali, laughed our heads off. Also, everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. But I probably sound crazy!

Yesterday we took a tour of Alcala. it's very beautiful here, but the tour was frustrating because it was all in Spanish. The university is this beautiful old building. There are pelicans everywhere. Sometimes the city here makes me claustrophobic. The streets are tiny and the the buildings are tall and everywhere. I just need some wide open spaces! But I did find Coca Cola here yesterday... it's amazing! it's so strong and delicious and just what I need on a stressful day. I wonder if this means I have an addiction....

Anyway, and then today we took a tour of Madrid. I understand what people mean now by the cold bites at your ears. We had churros y chocolate for breakfast. Basically you dip unsugared churros in melted Hershey's bar! But it's delicious! ahhhhh.... HEAVEN! The mom told us she is going to start feeding us more because we are melting away. It's already so much food! and I'll admit at times I have to gag it down. I don't know how I'm going to get used to this Spanish food. But I know I will. We took the train in to Madrid and took a tour around. It's such a beautiful city. It's like-imagine Times Square in the 1500s. oh man I know I am going to love it here.

3 comments:

  1. It's me...again. :) Everyday during training (our first three months) I seriously had a snickers and a coke EVERYDAY - it's the little things that will get you through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marynn, I'm so glad you have such a positive attitude about everything! The food and language sound so different, but I can see you're not gonna let that stop you. You're awesome! The pictures are so fun to look at! AHH! You're in SPAIN!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mar!I love reading about your new adventure. I remember when I went to Europe in 9th grade, Coke saved me. ha something familiar, its all you need sometimes.
    Keep up the good work and have fun!

    ReplyDelete