Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spain Day 1: The Quaintest Little Town There is!

 After eighteen hours of flying, I finally made it! I left Monday morning at 7 a.m. and after all the tears and good byes, I was off. Saying good bye was a lot harder than I had anticipated, but I know it will make coming home all the more rewarding. I flew to Houston, Texas, where there were seriously the cutest little cowboys all over the airport. I was in heaven haha Then I flew to Newark, New Jersery.  I had a delay for that flight so I literally had to sprint to make it on time to my flight to Madrid. By the time I got there they had given my seat away, but said I could sit where ever there was a seat. I'm just glad I made it! Add another night of tossing and turning and a couple more movies and here I am! We met in a plaza in the middle of the city where our host families picked us up. It was a smack in the face to the fact that I can't speak Spanish. My room mate, Ali, only understands it and I can only speak it. We make a good pair! In the pictures, there is my room for the next three months, the view from the balcony out my room, the table where we all eat lunch, and even our very own dryer! I didn't do so good with the first meal. My host family is so nice, but I'm struggling with the food here! We had soup, bread, tortillas and steak for lunch. Which actually is noodles, an omelet and breaded beef. Already this trip has been interesting! I can't wait to fix my Spanish and learn to love the crazy food here!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man!!! This is totally taking me back to the Peace Corps days!!! Those first few days are so strange and surreal, but you will love it! I am SO jealous!!! Thanks for posting your blog address on FB - I will definitely be looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing all about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! for you!! I am so glad you arrived safe... I am sure the whole thing will be different and crazy, but that is the adventure you are looking for!! Can't wait to hear more (And look how luck you are to have your very own dryer!:)) The food thing is part of the reason I never wanted to serve a mission. I wish I had been more daring. So I am proud of you for going out of your comfort zone, and I know you are doing all of it with a smile:) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete